Southwestern Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Portions: 4 Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Bell Pepper
4 red bell peppers
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano (crush in palm of hand)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
One 10-ounce can Rotel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut tops off each red pepper. Remove seeds and stems.
- Parboil peppers for about 4 minutes.
- In a large skillet heat canola oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add ground beef and stir meat around to separate.
- Add ground garlic powder, cumin and dried oregano to meat mixture.
- Add corn and canned tomatoes with chilies. Mix into meat mixture.
- Stand bell peppers in a 2-quart baking pan. Fill with meat mixture, adding any left over to pan.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- If you want less heat add the mild version of canned tomatoes with chilies.
- Be sure to count as 2 vegetable servings if you are on a low potassium diet. To reduce the potassium to 534 mg add 1-1/2 cups of cooked rice, omit the corn and reduce canned tomatoes and chilies to 1/2 cup.
- Patients who do peritoneal dialysis or daily home hemodialysis often require a higher potassium intake. This recipe can help provide more potassium.
- For lower protein CKD-non-dialysis diets reduce the ground beef to 1/2 pound of the amount recommended by your dietitian.
- Calories 247
- Protein 25 g
- Carbohydrates 14 g
- Fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 73 mg
- Sodium 352 mg
- Potassium 682 mg
- Phosphorus 235 mg
- Calcium 42 mg
- Fiber 3.1 g