Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Low Potassium Potatoes
Portions: 10 Serving size: Three Ounces Beef, 1/3 Cup Potatoes, 1/4 Cup Gravy or Broth
2-1/2 pounds beef brisket, fat trimmed
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato sauce, no salt added
1 teaspoon dehydrated beef bouillon powder or granules
12 ounces light beer
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cups leached potatoes
- Leach potatoes to reduce potassium content. To leach: peel and cut each potato into 16 bite-sized pieces, place in a very large pot and add 1 to 2 gallons water, set aside and soak for 2 to 4 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Place beef brisket in slow cooker. Combine all other ingredients except vegetables, and pour over brisket.
- Add onion, cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or cook on high for 4 to 5 hours until meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and add to slow cooker. Turn heat to high and cook covered an additional 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Soaking potatoes greatly reduces potassium content.
- *As an alternative to soaking potatoes, cut into small pieces and boil in a large pot of water. Drain; stir potatoes into meat juices or top with gravy when serving brisket. This boiling method has been shown to reduce potassium similar to leaching if the potatoes are cut into small pieces.
- Brisket may be replaced with any other pot roast.
- 1 medium onion yields 1 cup chopped onion.
- To make gravy with meat juices, add 2 tablespoons flour to 1/4-cup cold water. Stir into slow cooker after removing meat and vegetables. Stir until gravy thickens.
- 2-1/2 pounds raw brisket yields 2 pounds cooked brisket.
- Recipe yields 4 cups broth.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 277
- Protein 30 g
- Carbohydrates 16 g
- Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 86 mg
- Sodium 149 mg
- Potassium 424 mg
- Phosphorus 286 mg
- Calcium 16 mg
- Fiber 1.3 g