Portions: 6 Serving Size: 1/3 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons Liquid
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons low-sodium ketchup
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup red onion, sliced very thin
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
1 serrano or jalapeno chili pepper, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine lime and lemon juice, garlic, ketchup, hot sauce and oregano in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat, add shrimp and cook 1 to 2 minutes until shrimp turns orange. Remove from heat, place in a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- Prepare onion, cilantro, cucumber and chili pepper. Add vegetables and olive oil to cooled shrimp mixture and stir to mix. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Divide shrimp into six cocktail dishes or wine glasses. Pour 2 tablespoons liquid over each cocktail. Garnish with lemon or lime slice and cilantro before serving.
- Frozen shrimp can be substituted for fresh shrimp.
- Wear rubber gloves when mincing hot chili pepper to prevent irritation to hands and eyes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 138
- Protein 16 g
- Carbohydrates 5 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 115 mg
- Sodium 155 mg
- Potassium 228 mg
- Phosphorus 166 mg
- Calcium 48 mg
- Fiber 0.4 g