Patty’s Shepherd’s Pie
Portions: 6 Serving size: 1/6 of pie
2 large potatoes that have been leached
6 tablespoons butter (divided use)
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup tomato sauce
3/4 cup carrots, chopped
3/4 cup frozen green peas
1 cup nondairy creamer
1/2 cup brown gravy (from dry mix and water)
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Boil potatoes in a large pot of water until tender (about 20 minutes); drain.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan. Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until tender (10 minutes).
- Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink.
- Add pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and vegetables. Simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mash potatoes in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of butter. Mix in nondairy creamer to give potatoes a creamy consistency. Add pepper to taste.
- Spread beef evenly in baking dish. Cover evenly with mash potatoes. Use a fork to make a design.
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. To brown top, broil for 2 minutes if desired.
- Serve 2 tablespoons of gravy over each portion.
- Boiling potatoes in a large pot of water reduces potassium content. Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces, cover with water and boil to desired consistency. Discard cooking water.
- Freeze extra portions for a quick meal later.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 540
- Protein 23 g
- Carbohydrates 22 g
- Fat 40 g
- Cholesterol 117 mg
- Sodium 323 mg
- Potassium 645 mg
- Phosphorus 231 mg
- Calcium 38 mg
- Fiber 3.1 g