Homemade Chicken and Dumplings (or Turkey)
Portions: 6 Serving Size: 1-1/2 Cups
1 roasting chicken, 5 pounds, cut up (or 3 turkey legs, skinned, boned and chopped)
6 cups water
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend
3 cups leached potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4” thick
1 cup onion, sliced
1 cup unsifted all-purpose white flour
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons water
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Place chicken or turkey pieces in Dutch oven with 6 cups water. Add celery, salt, pepper and herb seasoning. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 60 minutes or until tender.
- Remove meat from bones and set aside.
- Add leached potatoes and onion to broth. Bring broth to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and butter together with a fork. Add egg and water and mix with fork until ingredients are moistened.
- Roll out dough 1/3” thick. With a sharp knife, cut dough into strips.
- Add noodle strips to broth and cook for 15 minutes (If using prepackaged dumpling noodles, simply add them to the broth at this time.)
- Add vegetables and meat to the broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
- For convenience, you can use a package of prepared dumpling noodles like Mary B’s brand, which can be found in the frozen food section of your grocery store.
- If you are on a protein-modified diet, select a smaller 2.5-pound chicken to reduce protein to 21 grams per serving.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 407
- Protein 38 g
- Carbohydrates 35 g
- Fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 140 mg
- Sodium 323 mg
- Potassium 688 mg
- Phosphorus 343 mg
- Calcium 45 mg
- Fiber 2.7 g