Portions: 12 Serving size: 1/3 cup meat
1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey
3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons hot chili powder
2 teaspoons red or cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground oregano
2 teaspoons white vinegar
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients very thoroughly. Place in airtight container and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours.
- Divide into 1/3-cup portions. Wrap in plastic wrap or butcher paper and freeze in thick plastic freezer bags for later use.
- Cook 1/3-cup portion per person in a skillet on stove top, chopping meat into fine crumbles with a spatula. See DaVita.com recipe for Chorizo and Egg Tortilla.
- Cook entire recipe at once, if desired, and freeze for later use.
- This is a quick and delicious way to increase protein intake at breakfast. Add 1 or 2 eggs or egg whites.
- Add Easy Chorizo to shrimp or chicken with rice for a spicy one dish meal.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 72
- Protein 8 g
- Carbohydrates 1 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 25 mg
- Sodium 46 mg
- Potassium 174 mg
- Phosphorus 79 mg
- Calcium 14 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g