Braised Beef Brisket
Portions: 8 Serving size: 3 ounces
2-1/2 pounds beef brisket, fat trimmed (3-1/2 pounds untrimmed)
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup onion, diced (1/2 medium onion)
1/2 cup celery, diced (1 stalk)
1/2 cup carrot, diced (1 medium carrot)
3 bay leaves, crumbled
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
2 to 3 cups water
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Trim fat from beef brisket and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Using a heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown meat 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove meat and add onion, celery and carrots. Cook and stir 4 minutes to deglaze the pot.
- Add bay leaves and parsley to vegetable mixture, and place meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour broth, water and balsamic vinegar over meat to cover and heat until liquid boils.
- Cover pot and cook in the oven at 350? F for 1-1/2 hours. Turn meat over and cook an additional 1-1/2 hours until meat is tender enough to cut with a fork.
- Remove meat from pot. Add one cup water to pan juices and stir. Strain liquid from solids. Discard vegetables and reserve broth for gravy (see recipe in “Sauces & Seasonings” section).
8. Slice brisket, top with gravy and serve.
- Save money–brisket costs less than most other beef cuts. It is a muscular, less tender beef cut, best when cooked slowly in liquid to tenderize the meat.
- Use beef brisket for roast beef sandwiches, tacos or burritos, potpie or beef stew.
- This recipe can be cooked in a slow cooker on low heat 8 to 10 hours.
- Look for reduced sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving. Avoid low sodium broth that contains potassium chloride—it’s very high in potassium. Recommended brands include Health Valley® No Salt Added Fat Free Beef Flavored Broth www.HealthValley.com (800-423-4846), Kitchen Basics® Natural Beef Flavor Stock www.kitchenbasics.net, and Swanson® Lower Sodium Beef Broth
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 212
- Protein 27 g
- Carbohydrates 4 g
- Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 81 mg
- Sodium 164 mg
- Potassium 365 mg
- Phosphorus 242 mg
- Calcium 19 mg
- Fiber 1 g