Beef Stew with Carrots and Mushrooms
Portions: 8 Serving size: 1 cup
1 cup white potato, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
2 cups onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dry red wine
1/3 cup all-purpose white flour
2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
3/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® Original herb seasoning blend, divided use
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
4 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 bay leaf
2 cups carrots, sliced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place potato in a large pot with warm water and soak to reduce potassium.
- In a large Dutch oven heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender; add mushrooms and thyme; stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add red wine to mixture and stir.
- Coat beef in flour. In a large frying pan heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add half of beef mixture and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend. Cook until browned on all sides. Repeat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, beef mixture and 1/8 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning blend.
- Add browned beef to mushroom mixture.
- Add thyme, broth and bay leaf to mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Drain potatoes. Stir potatoes and carrot into pot with beef. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally as sauce thickens.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash and black pepper. Discard bay leaf and serve.