Beef Chipotle Burritos
Portions: 6 Serving size: 1 burrito with 3 ounces meat
1-1/2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4? thick
half of a14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 small or 1/2 large red or green bell pepper
1/2 to 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1–2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup rice, uncooked
1-1/2 cups water
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Trim fat from meat. Cut into 6 pieces.
- In a 4-quart Crock Pot®, place meat, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, chipotle pepper, spices and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8–10 hours or on high for 4–5 hours.
- Add rice to water and cook according to package directions.
- Remove meat from cooker and shred, using 2 forks. Place in a large bowl and add sauce to desired consistency.
- Spoon meat onto warm tortilla; add 4 teaspoons cheese, 1 tablespoon sour cream, shredded lettuce and 1/2 cup cooked rice. Roll up and enjoy.
- If desired, replace canned tomatoes with 1 large fresh tomato, peeled and diced and replace chipotle pepper with a fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced.
- Adjust spices/peppers as desired.
- For a lower calorie and carbohydrate meal serve over rice and omit tortillas.
- For added kick, chop cilantro and stir into cooked rice. Add a splash of lime juice.
- Recipe can be easily doubled.
- For a lower protein diet adjust the portion to match your meal plan.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 435
- Protein 37 g
- Carbohydrates 36 g
- Fat 18 g
- Cholesterol 93 mg
- Sodium 482 mg
- Potassium 582 mg
- Phosphorus 320 mg
- Calcium 110 mg
- Fiber 2.5 g