4 skinless chicken breast halves (trim visible fat)
1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® salt-free seasoning
Fresh basil sprigs, optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Place chicken breast halves in a glass baking pan. Pierce each breast with a fork several times to allow mixture to season and flavor as it cooks.
- Melt butter in a glass mixing bowl in the microwave. Start at 15 seconds and stir to distribute heat.
- To melted butter, add basil, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and Mrs. Dash®. Stir mixture with a fork or whisk.
- Pour mixture evenly over chicken breasts making sure parmesan cheese is smoothly distributed.
- Baked uncovered, basting every 10 minutes with mixture from the pan, for a total of about 25 minutes or until juices in chicken are clear, not pink.
- Two tablespoons dried basil may be substituted if fresh basil is unavailable.
- Parmesan cheese contains 36 milligrams phosphorus for one tablespoon. The key is to limit recipe to a very small amount to keep phosphorus low.
- This recipe may be used in a CKD non-dialysis diet, but the portion size may need to be adjusted for a lower protein diet. Ask your dietitian about modifications for your individual protein requirements.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 252
- Protein 27 g
- Carbohydrates 0 g
- Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 74 mg
- Sodium 231 mg
- Potassium 246 mg
- Phosphorus 210 mg
- Calcium 31 mg
- Fiber 0.1 g