Authentic Steak Tacos
Portions: 4 Serving size: 2 tacos with 3 ounces steak
1 pound skirt/flank steak (falda)
Juice of 3 limes (about 6 tablespoons) (divided use)
2 teaspoons lemon pepper Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped finely
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic, diced
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled (found in Mexican grocery)
8 flour tortillas, 6″ size
- Marinate steak in shallow dish with juice of 2 limes, lemon pepper and garlic powder, from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Make salsa by mixing cilantro, onion, garlic and juice of 1 lime. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Slice steak thinly and cook over high heat until well done, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place equal amounts of cooked steak, about 3 ounces, in each flour tortilla.
- Top with one tablespoon crumbled queso fresco on each taco.
- Wrap each taco in aluminum foil and bake 5–8 minutes or until tortillas are warm.
- Remove from oven and top each taco with 1 tablespoon salsa. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese can be substituted for queso fresco. Add 1 tablespoon per taco.
- Compare brands and buy the lowest sodium tortillas.
- Amount of meat may be adjusted according to your diet. For a higher protein meal, increase to 1-1/2 pounds; for a lower protein meal, decrease to 1/2 pound or eat one taco instead of two.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 502
- Protein 30 g
- Carbohydrates 37 g
- Fat 26 g
- Cholesterol 59 mg
- Sodium 503 mg
- Potassium 568 mg
- Phosphorus 340 mg
- Calcium 189 mg
- Fiber 2.3 g